The 68th edition of the Festival de Wiltz, taking place from 27 June to 15 July 2020, will once again present celebrated artists, innovative newcomers and several premieres in Luxembourg.
For three weeks, the amphitheatre at Wiltz Castle will host performances by international and national artists belonging to a variety of genres, including rock, indie, jazz, “gypsy music” and even opera by Mozart.
The festival programme for children includes the premiere of a new musical production and the first show of a new concert series, “Jazz for Kids”, designed to introduce a younger audience to the world of jazz. This year’s festival also features another new project, created in collaboration with artist Luc Spada: the “Visit Wiltz in Beats” series will focus on the history of the town of Wiltz.
Diego Baliardo and the Gipsy Kings will kick off this year’s Festival de Wiltz on 27 June 2020. The latter are a French band with Spanish roots who have been promoting gypsy music for the past three decades. The following day, Theater Trier, one of the festival partners, will present its current production of one of Mozart’s best-known operas, “Le nozze di Figaro”, in Italian, at the amphitheatre in Wiltz.
On 2 July 2020, Swedish cult band Mando Diao will be performing at the festival while on tour to present their latest album, “Bang”, accompanied on this occasion by local support acts Bartleby Delicate and Tuys. The next day will see the Marly Marques Quintet (Marques is a Luxembourgish artist with Portuguese origins) take the stage near the “Witches’ Tower” for two live shows. In the afternoon, they will introduce the new series “Jazz for Kids” and later in the eventing, they will perform a jazz concert for older audiences.
Also on the children’s programme will be the musical “Little Dragon Coconut” (Der kleine Drache Kokosnuss), being shown on 5 July 2020. Based on the best-selling children’s book of the same name, this live performance will be given by Theater Lichtermeer for the first time. Although the text is in German, there is enough music to keep even those who do not speak German entertained.
Celebrating their 225th anniversary in 2020, the Weeltzer Musek have invited the Krunnemécken as their special guests to perform a dinner-concert together at the festival on 12 July. The theme of this evening is “Esou schmaacht WOOLTZ” (i.e. this is how Wiltz tastes). On the agenda are Luxembourgish songs accompanied by culinary specialities from around the world.
On 13 July 2020, a new jazz band, Ara Sextet feat. Pol Belardi and Bojan Z, will be performing at the festival. The band was born out of the project Criss Cross Europe 2019. Another festival highlight will be a performance by UK singer-songwriter Passenger, organised in cooperation with Den Atelier, on 15 July 2020.
Last but not least, the festival will showcase performances created by Luc Spada in collaboration with local artist Suzan Noesen, writers Gast Groeber and Isabel Spigarelli and DJ Kwistax for the new series “Visit Wiltz on Beats”. These performances will centre around the town of Wiltz and its history.
- 27/06/20 @ 20:30: Gipsy Kings
- 28/06/2020 @ 20:00: Le nozze di Figaro
- 02/07/2020 @ 19:00 (doors open): Mando Diao, with support acts Bartleby Delicate and Tuys
- 03/07/2020 @ 20:30: Marly Marques Quintet
- 03/07/2020 @ 14:30: Marly Marques Quintet – Jazz for Kids children's concert
- 05/07/2020 @ 15:00: Der kleine Drache Kokosnuss
- 06/07/2020 @ 09:30: Der kleine Drache Kokosnuss (school session)
- 12/07/2020 @ 17:00: Weeltzer Musek and Krunnemécken
- 13/07/2020 @ 20:30: Ara Sextet feat. Pol Belardi and Bojan Z
- 15/07/2020 @ 19:00 (doors open): Passenger
- 02/07/20 @ 17:30 & 18:30: Visit Wiltz on Beats with Luc Spada and DJ Kwistax (@ Ale Moart)
- 12/07/2020 @ 16:00 & 18:30: Visit Wiltz on Beats with Suzan Noezen (@ Schlassbar)
- 15/07/20 @ 18:00: Visit Wiltz on Beats with Gast Groeber and Isabel Spigarelli (@ Ale Moart)
For further information, including ticketing, visit http://www.festivalwiltz.lu/. Festival de Wiltz is operated by COOPERATIONS ASBL.