On Wednesday 25 August 2021, the Inspection du travail et des mines (ITM) - the Labour and Mines Inspectorate - confirmed that they undertook 185 inspections of 115 companies on 155 construction sites during the period of collective leave from 30 July to 22 August 2021 for the construction sector and from 2 to 22 August for sanitary, heating and air conditioning installers.
During these checks, they discovered a series of infractions:
• 6 work stoppages were pronounced by the ITM against construction and civil engineering companies that did not have any exemptions to be able to work during the collective leave;
• 2 work stoppages of 48 hours and 1 extension were pronounced against companies because of the imminent and serious danger to the safety and health of employees present in the workplace;
• 3 facility closures were pronounced;
• 8 work site closures were pronounced following various breaches of occupational health and safety;
• 7 injunctions were issued against 4 companies and 3 contracting authorities following breaches of occupational health and safety;
• 6 work stoppages were pronounced against 6 employers who, overall, employed 10 illegal third-country nationals who were found without work permits;
• 1 fine of €7,500 was imposed on 1 employer for illegally employing 3 illegal third-country nationals;
• 1 fine of €2,500 was imposed on 1 employer for illegally employing 1 illegal third-country national.