A total of 25 national Pickleball associations have announced the formation of the European Pickleball Federation (EPF).
The EPF, based in Luxembourg, is established as a not-for-profit association to serve as the continental pickleball federation in Europe for the purpose of promoting the development and growth of pickleball.
“The creation of the EPF is a very exciting step in the development of Pickleball in Europe” said Frank Arico, newly-elected President of EPF. “What the sport needs most at all levels is unity in order to move towards the ambition of eventual participation in the Olympics. The member countries of the EPF resolved that Europe had to show by example and democratically bring together all the countries to support the eventual formation of a single world federation for pickleball. Pickleball is an amazing sport, accessible to all ages, genders, social conditions and all physical abilities. We look forward to contributing to its expansion in Europe.”
A seven-member Board of Directors, each delegated by their country, was elected by the members of the General Assembly.
In addition to Frank Arico (England) as President, Giulia Soresina (Italy) will take on the role of Vice-President. The other roles will be allocated at a forthcoming Board meeting. The other five board members are Marc Declercq (Spain), Fatih Dervent (Turkey), Patrick Fiore (Ireland), Lenka Misickova (Czech Republic) and Pierre Obozinski (France).
The EPF federation has set itself the following objectives:
• To facilitate the growth of pickleball as a world-renowned sport and to promote the sport by demonstrating its physical, mental and social benefits to people of all ages and abilities.
• To represent the best interests of the EPF internationally and of pickleball players in Europe.
• To develop the pickleball infrastructure in Europe by improving training, rules, standardisation of equipment, promoting quality refereeing and improving the organisation and management of events.
Member countries of the EPF will gradually have direct access to a variety of resources, such as:
• A free platform to promote tournaments organized in Europe (already live)
• Official Playing Rules
• Guidelines for setting training programs
• Guidelines for Federation Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation and Tournament Operations
• Rankings and Ratings
What is Pickleball?
Pickleball is an indoor or outdoor racket/paddle sport in which two or four players hit a perforated hollow plastic ball over a 36-inch-high net using solid-faced paddles. Opponents on either side of the net hit the ball back and forth until one side commits a rule infraction.
About European Pickleball Federation
EPF is a not-for profit association created on 31 May 2023 by 25 founding members: Austria, Bulgaria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey.
EPF is established in Luxembourg.
For details, see www.epfpb.org