The purpose of this amendment is to provide specific support to low-income people who have been hit particularly hard by the COVID-19 crisis. Thus, people working in sectors where incomes often correspond to, or are slightly higher than, the social minimum wage have been particularly affected by partial unemployment.
Thanks to the modification of the rules, the amount of the allowance will increase from the new rules to (old amounts in brackets):
• €3,300 for a household of 2 people (€1,650)
• €3,960 for a household of 3 people (€1,980)
• €4,620 for a household of 4 people (€2,310)
• €5,280 for a household of 5 or more people (€2,640)
Requesting the cost of living allowance
2 people: €38,616.00
3 people: €46,339.20
4 people: €54,062.40
5 people: €61,785.60
6 people: €69.508,80
7 people: €77,232.00
8 people: €84,955.19
9 people: €92,678.39
10 people: €100,401.59
Households with a gross annual income that falls between the two thresholds indicated in the table below are entitled to a reduced cost of living allowance, which corresponds to the difference between the amounts of the cost of living allowance obtained normally by an applicant in a comparable situation and the part of the amount of income which exceeds the threshold.
2 people €38,616.01 - €41,915.99
3 people €46,339.21 - €50,299.19
4 people €54,062.41 - €58,682.39
5 people €61,785.61 - €67,065.59
6 people €69,508.81 - €74,788.79
7 people €77,232.01 - €82,511.99
8 people €84,955.20 - €90,235.18
9 people €92,678.40 - €97,958.38
10 people €100,401.60 - €105,681.58
In addition to the condition that the income cannot exceed a certain threshold, the applicant must:
• be registered in the main register of the National Register of Natural Persons (RNPP);
• actually reside in the place where their habitual residence is established;
• have resided in Luxembourg continuously for 12 months before the month in which the request is made;
• have a modest income, alone or with people who are part of the domestic community at the time of filing the request.
The request for the allowance must be submitted to the SNSF, using a form which is available:
• on guichet.lu;
• with municipal administrations.
People who have already had an allowance for this year should not reapply; the difference between the new amount and the amount already received will be paid on 1 July 2020 without any other formality.
People who have not yet applied for an allowance must submit their complete application before 30 September 2020.